A wealth of background and analytical material makes Sor Juana's proto-feminist writings, newly translated, all the more compelling.
2014 PEN USA Literary Award for Translation Finalist
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
· Edith Grossman’s acclaimed translations of the Tenth Muse’s best-known works.
· Introductory materials and explanatory footnotes by Anna More along with numerous images.
· Additional works by Sor Juana, related writings by Ovid, Saint Teresa of Ávila, and Diego Calleja, and historical interpretations.
· Seven critical essays by Marcelino Menéndez y Pelayo, Irving Leonard, Octavio Paz, Georgina Sabat de Rivers, Yolanda Martinez-San Miguel, Emilie Bergmann, and Charlene Villasenor Black.
· Diana Taylor’s interview with Jesusa Rodríguez about performing “First Dream.”
· A Chronology and Selected Bibliography.